How to install a minimal eclipse
Everytime I go to the Eclipse Homepage i find myself searching for the right download. Usually I just want the plain Eclipse. That means:
- I don't want any development environment
- I want the download to be as fast as possible (in terms of size)
- I want to find it fast
Usually I manage to accomplish neither of those. So here's what you need to download to get a plain Eclipse as small as possible but still be able to run it.
- go to the Eclipse Homepage
- find the download section
- scroll to the bottom of the page
- click "Other downloads"
- click on the link in the second column of "Latest Release"
- get the "Platform Runtime Binary" download (it should be about 40 - 50 MB)
- Consider yourself happy you just needed a 6 step how-to to find a plain Eclipse version without any plugins.
Now what can you do with the a plain eclipse that seems to have no usefull functions?
- Get the "Apache Directory Studio" (which I consider the best freely - as in beer, and software - available LDAP browser)
- Get the "BPMN Plugin" a great tool to formally specify processes, usefull for all kind of process not just "business"
- Try "PyDev" - a great IDE for Python that is just a plugin to Eclipse
Happy Holidays to whom it may concern.Server!/Horror