Easy Installation of VirtualBox on OpenSolaris (and maybe other stuff)
So I was looking how to install VirtualBox under OpenSolaris. My first thought was a simple
or similiar would be enough. It isn't :).
Looking around I found that the nice people from Sun provide an easy way to install VirtualBox. Note: I don't really care about the newest and best features to be available but I like it when things are easy to manage - no really! Here's how to get VirtualBox by simply using pkg with an official IPS repository.
- Go to https://pkg.sun.com
- Login with your Sun Account (yes unfortunately you need one) - If you don't have an account register it
- You'll be presented with a "Certificate Requests" page, simply choose the OpenSolaris extras repository and request your certificate
- Follow the instructions (copy stuff to /var/pkg/ssl, pkg set-authority)
- pkg install virtualbox
- Be happy with a shiny new VirtualBox installation...